- 23 May, 2021
- 5 min read
- 0 Comments
Meet Genevieve Jo!
Hi Genevieve! Where are you from?
I was born while my parents were living on a sailboat. I’ve lived in 5 US states, but my family is from Canada. I have visited 26 US states and about 28 countries. I like to say that I am from Earth, as I consider myself a global citizen that doesn’t identify with one country or place.
When did you join ZOX VIP?
In the Middle of 2017 - about 4 years ago
What drew you to ZOX?
Peacocks - seriously. Zox had a strap called “Gorgeous” that had a peacock on it which showed up in my feed one day. I had a rescue peacock growing up named Henry. Henry only had one leg so we had to keep him and care for him. That strap reminded me of Henry and so it was all Zox love after that. Since then, what draws me to stay with Zox is the community and wonderful friends that I have made here.
How did your collection start?
After buying Gorgeous, I fell in love with the artist Geleen Lorica’s work. I started to collect all of Geleen’s straps. Now I own her whole collection (photo below). Not only that but Geleen and I have now designed 5 straps together - Language of Love with its blackstar Hello/Goodbye, Culture of Love, and Unspoken with its blackstar Outspoken. My next biggest collection is my F&F collection. Every F&F I have has a lovely story of gifting and friendship behind it, so it is one of my most precious and joyful collections (photo below). I also collect Darren Goldman’s art; many have probably seen me post #darrensbiggestfan before. Below is a photo of my full collection of all of his birds which I adore. I also have almost all of the doubles (doubles are my favorite style) and a pretty large collection of blackstars shown below. Lastly, I have been a big collector of the season’s sets. I have every set through S1, S2, and S3, many, especially Darren’s sets I have multiples of (Escape Artists and Scaries; I have a silver set and a gold set), all in all totaling 38 moonstones and 3 megamoonstones.
What’s your favorite ZOX, and why?
This is the hardest question that I get asked in Zox. It’s like trying to choose a best friend, and I just can’t. Instead, I will tell you about a few of my favorites. I want to apologize in advance if I leave anyone’s extreme kindness out. Below I posted a photo of my Top 21 for 2021 (hopefully no one that reads this can count - LOL) and here are a few of the reasons for my 8 favorites:
- Pale Blue Dot- This my first and biggest Grail, and my first ever gifted Zox. I met one of my dearest Zox friends through this strap and it will always fall in the number one spot for that reason.
- Dark Horse- A gift from an amazing, sweet, kind, wonderful Zoxer that absolutely left me speechless. This one has a lot of meaning to me because it reminds me of being a part of the Zox community and always striving to leave a mark of kindness.
- Oreo (White) F&F- Another dear Zox friend, who has been with me from the beginning, won this strap in an auction and then had it sent to me as a gift. It means a lot to me because of my friend’s huge heart.
- Unspoken/Outspoken- this set was one that I designed with Geleen. Outspoken was a message that I really wanted to share with the community.
- Imperial- Was a group gift from some of my chosen family - Zox friends for life - and I cherish it.
- Pipe Up- This strap means a lot to me because my mom tells me that she admires me because I always speak up for those that can’t. That trait has not always made everyone like me, but I hold true to my beliefs, and this strap reminds me that it’s ok to be me.
- Come Alive- One of my most amazing gifts. I am a HUGE animal lover. I have been to Africa and had to miss my Safari due to a death in the family, and I don’t know if I will ever make it back. This strap was always on my “impossigrail” list, and I never ever thought I would be able to own it, until it landed on my doorstep one day, sent from a Zoxer with an incredible heart. I will cherish it forever.
- Beautiful Unknown- a gorgeous strap that has a lot of meaning and history that I honor.
Let’s say you’re given the opportunity to create a new ZOX product: what would it be, what would it look like, and why would you want it made?
Maybe a gifting strap set that you can give to a friend, a teacher, a medical caretaker, or the post carrier, as a thank you, and it would have a card with a code inside for them to pick out another strap on the website just for them. I would also love a strap with the name: “Rise Together.”
What’s your favorite thing about being a VIP?
The community! I have never been a part of a group that has such a strong vibe of kindness and love. I really believe that we need to help each other rise together in this world, stand with each other, help each other win. Zox is like this. I have made so many lifetime friends here. Friends that I will talk with and keep in my heart forever. Chosen family.
I also have a gifting project that I do in VIP and I love. I call it the porch presie project. I sew ribbons onto Zox strings, making one of a kind Zox strings, and send them as surprises. Seeing the way the community comes together to send strings and string cases for it, and seeing the joy on people’s faces when they get a package, just really brings me joy.
I also wanted to mention that about 2 years ago, I started tagging posts of kindness both in VIP and Zoxlist with the hashtag #ZoxLove, since then it has caught on and other members are using it as well. My thought was that if you never need a pick me up, you could search the hashtag and see all kinds of wonderful acts of kindness to brighten your day.
What do you love about ZOX?
I love the art! The art is what keeps me collecting.
Which ZOX are you planning on acquiring next?
My current DISO Grail is Gentle Soul. I just love the bright colors and the quote on the card speaks to me, as it truly describes how I try to live my life. After that, I’ve been looking for Intertwined forever (since it was released), and I still need the OG F&F Imperial to finally complete my F&F collection. I always say “these will be the last ones,” but then there is always something else. LOL - I’m looking at you White Star doubles.
Thank you Zox for the community, the art, and the friendships!
Thank you, Genevieve, for sharing!! We're so happy to have you as a member of our family, and hope you get those White Stars soon!
Keep an eye out for more of your friends to be featured soon!
** Disclaimer: All photos and stories are property of the VIP. Their featured collection in this blog does not mean that what is shown is for sale by the VIP.